How To Disable Ford MyKey
If you’ve been wondering: “how to turn off my Ford MyKey?” it’s easy with this step-by-step guide. A driver in your family needs to exchange keys with a parent, or if you’re planning to sell the car to someone new, you’ll need to know how to disable Ford MyKey. Thankfully, it only takes about a minute to disable or turn off Ford MyKey when you follow our guide to this feature. If you experience any difficulty contact Beach Ford today to learn how to turn off Ford MyKey.
How to Turn Off My Ford MyKey
The menus you’ll need to disable the Ford MyKey system only appear for the driver if the vehicle is started with the admin key or the admin key fob. Once you have either of these on hand, clear all MyKey settings and return each programmed MyKey to its original “admin key” status. See the steps on how to turn off Ford MyKey below:
- Start the car. Wait for your onboard computer and screen to power up.
- Locate your steering wheel-mounted information display controls. Press the left arrow button to access the main menu.
- On the main menu, select “Settings” by pressing “OK.”
- Under “Settings,” scroll to the option that says “MyKey,” then press “OK.”
- Under “MyKey,” search for the option that says “Clear MyKey.”
- With this setting selected, press and hold “OK” until the message “All MyKeys Cleared” appears on the screen.
What is Ford MyKey?
If any of this sounds confusing to you, you may want to familiarize yourself with the basics. Much like Ford SYNC®, FordPass, and Ford Remote Start, Ford MyKey is designed to provide peace of mind and convenience during your drives around Conway and Murrells Inlet. Here’s how it works:
- Ford MyKey allows one driver — the designated admin — to program restrictions and preferences for all of the other keys that are used to drive that vehicle.
- Most drivers use it to promote and monitor good behavior for teen drivers and less experienced drivers in their life.
- It functions by limiting a driver’s top speed, minimizing distractions from entertainment features, and ensuring proper seat belt usage for passengers in the front seats.
- When a driver starts the vehicle with a programmed MyKey, they’ll be limited by the admin’s preselected speed, and they’ll be required to use any Ford safety features, parking aids, and Ford Co-Pilot360™ technologies that your vehicle may possess.
How To Do a Ford MyKey Reset
After you disable Ford MyKey, there may come a time when you’d like to turn it on again. This just requires a Ford MyKey reset We’ve included a helpful step-by-step reference guide so you can reprogram your MyKey feature at a moment’s notice:
- Take the key that you would like to program and insert it into the ignition. If your Ford is equipped with a push-button start, insert the key into the backup slot.
- Using the left arrow in your information display controls, access the main menu, and navigate to “Settings.”
- From here, scroll down and select “MyKey,” then select “Create MyKey” from the new menu.
- The system will prompt you to select “OK,” thereby labeling the key that’s in the ignition as a MyKey.
- From this point forward, the key will be restricted upon starting up the vehicle until Ford MyKey is disabled.
In order to change the restriction settings, vehicle speed minders, and Ford MyKey volume limited or audio system controls, simply start the car with an admin key and navigate back to the “MyKey” menu. From here, simply select the feature that you’d like to change the settings for, and make adjustments as necessary.
What if there is No MyKey Option in Settings?
In some cases you might see that there is no Ford MyKey option in settings. When this happens you’ll want to see if your spare key works here and if they option appears when you try it again, or our team at Beach Ford may need to reprogram your key fob to with this feature. Our technicians are here to help and will have you back on the road in no time.
Find Help With Ford MyKey at Beach Ford
To learn more about a Ford MyKey reset, or have questions about Ford technology that we haven’t answered here, simply contact Beach Ford and talk to someone on our team! You can also keep up with our manufacturer blog and more service tips and tricks related to Ford parts and technologies. Be sure to schedule a visit to our dealership right here in Myrtle Beach!